FULL DISCLOSURE: The links I share in this course ARE my affiliate links. This means I earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. In fact, sometimes you’ll get a discount or free credits just FOR using my link. 🙂
Is your dog a fan of brownies? Chances are they love them just as much as you do. After all, who doesn’t love the sweet taste of chocolate?
But what many people don’t realize is that dogs can eat brownies.
With the right balance of ingredients, they aren’t that bad for your pet, either.
In this article, we will discuss whether or not your dog can eat brownies and, if so, what types of brownies should be avoided.
We will not go into all the gory details about why dogs should not have brownies. Instead, we will give you enough information to make an informed decision for yourself and your pup.
More Dog Treats
There are so many dog treats including brownies that are available for your dog! These can be extremely easy to make yourself. You do not need any special skills or ingredients and they are super delicious.
My dogs are really picky about their treats and I have to work hard to find something that they will eat regularly. They are not interested in store-bought treats unless it is something we make ourselves.
Brownies are the perfect treat because they are easy to make and they taste amazing! I have been making these treats for years now, and they are a staple in our house.
Keep reading for 3 amazing brownie recipes found below!
Can Dogs Eat Brownies?
Brownies are just as healthy for your dog as they are for you. Dogs can get almost as much nutritional value out of a brownie as a human would.
Unfortunately, many commercial treats are high in sugar and low in nutritional value. Brownies are one of these treats.
They are not only high in sugar, but they are also high in fat. Fat can give your dog energy, but it can also increase his risk of developing heart disease.
The fat content of brownies is very high. This means that it may cause pancreatitis in certain dogs.
What Types of Brownies are Safe for Dogs?
It is essential to know that only some brownies are good for dogs. There are some that contain chocolate, raisins, nuts, and other things that can harm your dog.
You can check out the ingredient list if you are worried about your dog eating brownies. This will tell you what is in the brownies.
If you see any ingredients your dog is allergic to, you should avoid them. You should also avoid any brownies that have a lot of sugar in them.
You could also make homemade brownies for your dog. This way, you know exactly what is in the brownie and can make sure it has the safest and most natural ingredients to keep your pup healthy.
A few types of brownie ingredients that you could include are:
- Peanut Butter
- A small amount of butter
All of these ingredients are healthy for your dog in moderation. The best thing about these foods is that they contain a mix of protein, carbohydrates, and fat, which makes them a great treat to give your dog as a reward.
What Type of Brownies Should Be Avoided?
There are a few ingredients that should not be used when making brownies for your dogs. These include:
- White Flour
- Rice flour
- Corn Syrup
However, you can easily substitute these ingredients with others to make the best brownies.
- While white flour is not the best option for dogs, you could use wheat, oat flour, almond flour, or chickpea flour
- Soy is not suitable for dogs. Soy is often genetically modified and contains the ingredient glyphosate. Glyphosate can cause leaky gut and cancer in dogs. If you need substitute milk in your brownies, try using almond milk or rice milk.
- Instead of using corn syrup or sugar, try using honey. Honey is an excellent substitute for all types of syrup and is low in calories. It is also a natural sweetener.
- Chocolate is not good for dogs. It can cause indigestion leading to diarrhea and stomach pains. When looking for a tasty alternative to chocolate, look no further than carob powder. Carob powder is a healthy, delicious, and natural chocolate alternative.
Why Would a Dog Eat Brownies?
Many dogs love the taste of brownies simply because they taste good. However, there are certain instances where your dog may eat them out of curiosity.
For example, your pet may see humans eating brownies, or they may encounter them in the trash.
If your dog manages to get their hands on some brownies, your dog may be curious to find out what they taste like.
There are also some dogs that may be interested in eating brownies because they love food and they love to eat anything in their reach.
Should You Serve Your Dog Brownies to Eat?
As we said before, brownies are not bad for your dog as long as you bake them with the right ingredients. However, there are reasons not to give your dog brownies. There are certain situations where it is better to refrain from serving your pet brownies.
- If your dog has a medical condition that causes them to crave sweets, then it is best if he does not have brownies.
- Fat and sugar are both components of some treats that are known to cause harm to dogs who have these conditions.
- If your dog is a puppy, it is best if he does not eat brownies. Brownies are a high-sugar snack and can cause your pet to become hyperactive and destructive.
- If you have a picky dog, it is best if you serve him other nutritious treats rather than brownies. That is because they may only want to eat the sugar found in the brownies instead of the dog food that is good for them.
- Certain types of brownies can be toxic to dogs and cause them to get sick.
Recipes: Brownies that Dogs Can Eat
Here are a few recipes containing delicious and easy-to-make brownies to spoil your dog!
Over at Urban Bakes, Carol has an 8 ingredient brownie recipe that is delicious for dogs. The recipe makes 16 and takes about 1 hour to make from start to finish.
If you are looking for a fantastic brownie covered in icing, then the Bow-Wow Brownies recipe is delicious!
A third contestant is the Faux-choc brownies for Dogs. With this recipe, your dog can still enjoy chocolate without getting a stomach ache.
Choosing the Right Ingredients
In conclusion, brownies are not all that bad for your dog as long as you bake them with the right ingredients.
You can make brownies with healthy ingredients and even add some fruits to make them more appealing to dogs.
Baked treats that are made with all-natural ingredients, such as honey, butter, and eggs, are safe for your pet to eat.
Keep in mind that all treats should be given sparingly and only as a treat once in a while.
For more tips on knowing what your dog should and should not eat, visit Choosing the Right Type of Dog Foods For Your Pup